Sunday, November 11, 2012

WTI: Wisconsin Technology Initiative

On Saturday November 10th, DC Everest hosted a teaching conference called the Wisconsin Technology Initiative Academic Forum.  I went with my friend Christina Lang, and we spent the day learning about different technologies to incorporate in our classrooms.

The first session that we attended was about the site Edmodo.  Edmodo is like the Facebook of education.  It's a great way to share information and connect with students.  Unlike Facebook, we control who can be a part of our groups and students cannot have private conversations via Edmodo.  Everything that a student posts, we can see.  The second session and third sessions were about podcasting, vlogging, and flipping the classroom.  These were things that we have discussed in class. We had a lot of good discussion about creating content and having students learn at home and practice at school instead of the other way around. The final session was a workshop in iPad apps.  I had a lot of fun working with my peers discovering new apps to use for education.  It was especially helpful because I was working with people who educate grades 3-5, which are the grades that I'd ideally teach.

Overall, the conference was a great experience.  It was a nice, informal way to introduce me to teacher conferences, which was great since this was my very first one. I had a great time and can't wait to go to my next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment