Friday, November 9, 2012

Another Podcast Reaction

I had a good time working with my group to prepare a podcast about Chapters  2-3 in the Rethinking Education text. What we did was set up a Google Doc a week in advance and we edited it and created questions through out the week. As the facilitator, I took everybody's input and selected a few questions that we would discuss in detail during the podcast.  Some topics that we discussed were barriers for the use of technology in schools, our overall philosophy of technology in education, and specific programs and equipment that we would like to implement in our future classrooms.

We actually attempted to do the entire podcast in one straight shot to avoid editing, but we ended up needing to make a few small edits. When it came to editing the podcast, the first thoughts that went through my head were, "I HATE AUDACITY WITH A PASSION! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!"  We had issues cutting parts out of the podcast and it took a lot of trouble-shooting to actually get the lead-in and lead-out music into the podcast. I'm not sure why, but I have this problem every time I work with the Audacity program.

I actually like the idea of using podcasts with my younger students. I believe that it is a great way for students to show off what they've learned in a creative, interactive way.  I would use it to allow students to report on what they've learned in a given unit, and I think it would be especially useful for foreign language learning. However, I very much dislike the editing process.  Hopefully there will be a program that I can agree with once I actually get out into the field.  I know that Garage Band is a pretty good program, but it is only available for Mac users.  New programs and technologies are coming out every single day.  I await the next revolutionary podcast program.

No comments:

Post a Comment