Sunday, December 2, 2012

Rethinking Education: Chapter 3 *Book Project*

As I discussed in my previous post, Chapter 3 discusses the argument of a technology skeptic.

A major point that the chapter made was the cost and access of new technology.  This is an issue that legitimately worries me about my future as an educator. I have no idea where I'll end up teaching.  My hometown school district has funding for new technologies, but other school districts might not.

I really disagree with the skeptics' vision of schooling. I don't believe that our school systems are locked into place. With new teachers graduating from college every year and entering the workforce, I believe that we can adapt to the changing world of technology. I also believe that the extra time that teachers put in organizing and implementing new technologies is so beneficial to the students that it is worth it several times over.

After reading an example of both perspectives, I agree that it may be difficult to implement new technologies and strategies into some classrooms. However, I feel that the effort would be well worth it.

Quotes from Chapter 3

"From a principal's publication in 1815: 'Students today depend on paper too much.  They don't know how to write on a slate without getting chalk dust all over themselves.  They can't clean a slate properly.  What will they do when the run out of paper?'" pg. 30

I think that it's a little bit hilarious that this quote is a thing that exists. However, it does invite some deeper thought beyond what is obviously funny.  Educators have always had to fight to have new technologies incorporated into the classroom.  Schools have been resistant to change long before modern technology was brought into the picture.  Schools have fought against paper and pens, which we now consider to be the staples of the traditional classroom  As paper, pens, and even basic computers have all won the fight to be incorporated into modern education, my hope is that the new technologies of the day will also win this fight.

"The existing instructional system adapts to the new curriculum in predicable ways. Teachers can regard the new curriculum as a foreign invasion into their regular teaching practices , and try to fit in in with those practices." pg. 34

This quote further proves my belief that far too many teachers use technology in the classroom in ways that are not useful to students at all.  This quote also brings back my example of my old high school teacher that only used his SMART Board for Youtube videos and Powerpoint Presentations.  A new form of technology invaded his classroom and he tried to adapt it to his regular teaching practices, rather than revamp teaching practices in order to incorporate new technologies. I realize that it is difficult to change teaching practices overnight, but we have had existing technologies for quite some time now, and as educators we should embrace the future of education rather than cling to the past.

"Even though the costs of computers and network connections have declined considerably in recent years  cost is still a serous barrier to those technologies becoming central to schooling." pg. 37

Despite being a huge advocate for technology in the classroom, cost and access still worries me.  I know that a lot of inner-city schools do not have access to different technologies. There are always grants and other ways to obtain funds, but even that might not be enough. It's easy for me to forget about these schools because I grew up in a school that had access to computer labs and other technologies.  We didn't have everything, but we did have enough that we could do a lot of technology-based learning. I have never taught in a school without lots of funding, but I would imagine it would be difficult.




No comments:

Post a Comment